Monday, 16 January 2012

“But I always say one’s company, two’s a crowd, and three’s a party.”



#2 from my 50 Things 2012 List:
"Have a 30th Birthday 'shin dig' and really enjoy myself"

Two glorious venues and many fab friends made for a GREAT and memorable early 30th Birthday celebration day in Nelson on the 14th January.

My wee surprise was that in the morning Leanne treated me to getting my hair done up all fancy by her lovely hair dresser. Leanne had her hair done first while I trawled Pinterest on my phone looking for hair up styles I liked; meanwhile secretly wishing I was as organised as a friend Justine, who already has the above mentioned ideas already neatly 'pinned'.

My final look was pretty cool, a wee bit rockabilly with loose curls and a swooped back fringe complete with a wee bit of height. It looked so easy when done by a hair dresser but I am fairly sure I'll never be able to recreate it without 'adult supervision' :P

In the afternoon we checked into one of my favourite hotels in Nelson, The Monaco Resort. On this auspicious day (14th January 2006 was my wedding day at the SAME venue!) it was quite surreal. In quite an interesting twist the hotel had NO weddings on that weekend, which was a very rare occasion in the middle of wedding season. I took this as a good omen :)

Next we donned our flashest manners and visited another one of my favourite places in Nelson - the gorgeous and historic Melrose House. Quite a few months ago I had seen that the cafe there had started offering "High Tea" occasions and it looked absolutely divine.

And so we were treated to wee morsels of deliciousness (both savoury and sweet) and tea by the gallon, all from gorgeous china and tiered displays. I admit to being flabbergasted at the sheer volume of different teas they had on offer, from memory it stretched to over 3 pages of the menu! It was great to have some special friends join me for the occasion, including some I hadn't managed to catch up with when I was down in Nelson earlier this month.


Once the 'formal' part of the evening was over, the three of us were ready for some fun! Amie and I had arranged for the most amazing makeup artist Emillie from Blossom to come and do her magic on us. The results were fantastic! To complete the look I also had purchased a set of cat ears, whiskers and a bow tie for each of us ladies. We had a wee bit of fun playing around with them!

So without revealing too much; the rest of the night consisted of an awesome Sex Guessing Game (kindly provided by a Speech Language Therapist!), Limoncello, fireworks on the mudflats at Monaco and some dancing out at the Little Rock in Nelson. Now, who says you're too old also when you walk away with a business card from a 22 year old banker lol ;P

A fabulous night, and a huge thanks to the lovely Amie and Leanne who made it all happen x
One of the best nights out I have had in A LONG TIME!



“But I always say one’s company, two’s a crowd, 
and three’s a party.”
~ Andy Warhol

1 comment: